Poetry in the Living Room
A poetry workshop under the guidance of an acclaimed poet in which participants learn about poetry’s unique power to evoke a sense of place and help us appreciate our locality.
Aims of the event:
● To provide an enriching activity for eighteen to thirty-year-olds in Balsall Heath, encouraging people to discuss their local area.
● To reflect on the heritage of the Moseley Road Baths in a creative, engaging way.
● To provide the inspiration for poetry to be commissioned after the workshop allowing local people to be part of the creative process of the
Young Curators’ Digital Art Project.
Join us for a free poetry workshop for 18-30 year olds at Moseley Road Baths. The workshop will run from 6:30-8pm on Friday 22nd of September in our cosy Living Room space, with tea and biscuits. Activities will be led by a fantastic Birmingham-based poet, with a focus on exploring your local area through poetry. No experience required, just bring yourself!
The workshop is part of a wider programme called Young Curators, in which six 18-30’s design a digital idea based on their connection to Moseley Road Baths. Our curators have decided to make a podcast which utilises poetry and music from artists within the 18-30 year old age bracket. One of the workshop participants at ‘Poetry in the Living Room’ will be commissioned as one of the poets on the podcast!
Come join us to have some fun, learn from a local poet, and possibly even get a commission!
Limited spots available.
Access to the space:
- Our historic building is a one of a kind, unique and beautiful space. Being a historic pool we wanted to be as transparent as possible about what to expect in the space.
- Step-free access to the Living Room will be through the rear of the building straight into the Gala Pool, accessed via a slip road off Edward Road.
- You can also access The Living Room via our front entrance.
- We are on the number 50 bus route for those taking public transport.
- We recommend parking on Edward Road for those in vehicles. All roads nearby are free for parking.
- There are bike racks outside the front Balsall Heath Library, situated next door to Moseley Road Baths.
- Rear fire exit door: 81.5 cm width by 200cm height
- Portable Ramp (pictured): 70cm internal width 183cm length **Please note we are waiting on a new ramp as ours has sustained slight damage**
- Maximum load capacity: 275 kgs (43 stone)
- Accessible toilet door: 90cm width by 205cm height
- Facilities in the accessible toilet: Support bars
- From front of toilet bowl to furthest wall: 147 cm
If you have any questions before the day reach us on email@example.com, or call us on 01214390320.
Why not come for a swim too? View our swimming timetable here
Balsall Heath’s Living Room is part of the Diving In Programme funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund