Photo: Katja Ogrin / Flatpack
We are looking for people to join our team of trustees to bring new skills and a fresh approach. We’re also hoping to recruit a new chair of the board of trustees.
Moseley Road Baths CIO has now been operating for two years. Before Covid19 we were starting to emerge from initial challenges with a strong business model to thrive; and even in the light of Covid19 the community and funding support around MRB means we have a good chance of pulling through these difficult years and emerging as a successful community pool and heritage venue.
Over the last year we have had eight active, skilled and enthusiastic trustees with a positive working culture. They have a good knowledge of MRB itself and expertise in heritage, project management, finance, fundraising, the local area and community engagement.
We’re looking for people who share our passion for and active commitment to MRB with the time to participate in our monthly meetings, as well as subgroup activity.
Trustees are obliged to:
- Ensure that MRBCIO complies with its aims, objects & constitution, funders’ and Charities Commission requirements
- Ensure MRBCIO’s financial solvency, stability and probity
- Safeguard and positively promote the reputation and values of MRBCIO
- Monitor staff performance, provide line management to the senior post
- Deliver, or oversee and delegate our strategy, business plan, budget, policies and partner engagement.
These skills and qualities are needed in all MRBCIO trustees:
- Active commitment to the concept and values of MRBCIO
- Understanding of and capacity for the role of a trustee, including the necessary time commitment and a grasp of the legal and regulatory requirements.
Additionally we are particularly seeking people who can bring one or more of the following skills:
- Expertise in Company Secretary duties and governance
- Legal and contractual expertise
- Property management, conservation or renovation expertise
- Knowledge of Balsall Heath and surrounding area across its diverse communities.
However if you do not feel you match one of these categories but bring skills that should be useful to MRB’s governance then we would still be delighted to hear from you.
Because of the CIO’s size and newness, most trustees take on additional sub-governance roles such as coordinating our communications or writing funding bids. This is not essential but would be welcomed.
More information about becoming an MRB trustee can be found in the job description and person specification.
The current chair has been in that role with great enthusiasm since the earliest discussions of a community takeover, but now feels the venture would benefit from fresh leadership. This will be someone who shares our passion for and active commitment to MRB with the time to plan and lead our monthly meetings, liaise with managers and guide subgroup activity in between meetings.
We are looking for:
- An open mind, willing to listen and consider the views and needs of others and to give and receive honest feedback, whilst constructively challenging the status quo
- Ability to encourage equal participation of all members of the Board
- Demonstrable commitment to promoting equality, diversity and inclusion at all levels
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for as many as possible of the following: swimming, heritage, community enterprise, the voluntary sector and the Balsall Heath area
- A track record of team leadership and best practice in corporate governance
- Good commercial awareness
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing and communication skills, able to present to a wide range of audiences and to develop excellent relationships with all stakeholders.
We are also keen to ensure that our board as a whole maintains and increases its reflection of the diversity of Balsall Heath’s population, in its age, cultural, social, ethnic and gender profile, in order to benefit from a wider range of perspectives and ensure we do not inadvertently exclude anyone from our activities.
More information about the role of chair can be found in the job description and person specification.
If you’re interested in this post please read the job description and person specification above, and then send a CV and covering letter to the current chair email@example.com by the closing date of 18th October. If you’d like a more informal chat before deciding whether to apply, Karen would be happy to hear from you.